top of page

R continued

Rendlesham Forest Incident – This case has been explained as the Orford Ness Lighthouse, but that doesn’t really stand up as an explanation, especially when it happened between RAF Bentwaters (NATO Installation) and its twin Base RAF Woodbridge, with Martlesham NSA Electronic Research Site nearby, as well as RAF Bawdsey Manor.  A UFO travelling at 1500 knots was tracked on Friday 26th December 1980 at 1am by Eastern Radar, Norfolk, and it slowed to 900 knots. “it was acting like a solid object and nothing they could do to the system would make it disappear.” (Randles (1991) p. 8)  They estimated it’s height to be 20,000 feet and descending on Bentwaters, Rendlesham Forest area. At 2am Sergeant Jerry Stevens of 81st Squadron Security Police and Joe Borman, Airman First Class, were keeping watch at Woodbridge when Borman spotted a brilliant white glow over trees to the north east.  Stevens said in response that it was “Probably just that damned lighthouse!” (Randles (1991) p. 12) and then noticed the glow was several degrees further north and hovering. When the light dropped down into the trees Borman said “If that’s a plane – it just crashed” (Randles (1991) p. 13) and they reported it. At 2.30am the relief guard arrived and left Borman and Stevens at the East Gate.  “The airmen advised to go check out the situation were Jim Archer and John Cadbury.” (Randles (1991) p. 17) and a third unnamed.

They drove a jeep in as far as they could and then walked, and saw ahead red and blue lights which pulsated.  They found the walkie talkie wouldn’t work, but there was a tape recording made.  “A small clearing opened up…as if something heavy had crashed through the tree canopy from above smashing gaping holes in the pines thirty feet above the ground…[and they saw] a machine that defied description and which sat there just in front of them dazzingly intact…It was the size of a small family car, maybe 10 feet across the base and 8 feet high…Vaguely triangular and glowing with an eerie white light that lit up the ground…A bank of blue/white and red lights…studded across its midriff…Out of the base what looked like three legs, shrouded in the glare from the light pouring out, were probing towards the earth.” (Randles (1991) p. 19)  John Cadbury moved forwards to touch the craft and the legs retracted – “the cone-shaped craft glided silently upwards” (Randles (1991) p. 20) at head height it swept back and silently manouvered away through the trees, pursued by Cadbury, and reluctantly Archer and the other airman, it moved slowly, majestically into a field of cows. “Then in a flash it shot upwards very fast. Light poured out, filling the forest.” (Randles (1991) p. 20).  As the object moved away, the darkness moved in, this was at 3.30am.  They were found by a rescue party at 3.45am  wandering, disorientated in the forest, not knowing how they had moved from the field back to the forest.  Cadbury wanted to stay, but wasn’t allowed to.  At 4.11am Colonel Ted Conrad called the British Police (despite being the Royal Air Force, the bases were actually American). The Police went out then and later on the same morning of the 26th, at 10.30am. With Colonel Conrad, the Police Officer searched the forest and found the location and radiation traces, with the holes from the craft’s legs in a triangle formation 12 feet apart.  The Police Officer was fairly sure this was nothing more than animal burrows though, “…UFOs don’t exist” he said (ibid p. 25).  That would’ve been the end of it, but the base investigated further on Saturday 27th at 1am and that is when the tape recording was made by Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt.  Using geiger counters to test for radiation “the operator reported that “it just jumped up to seven tenths.” Halt had it confirmed” (ibid p. 33) that this was in the centre of the landing marks.  Then things got weird, a reddish yellow light was seen which became “like a rainbow waterfall, with bits of multi-colored light being cast out in a stream from a tube or funnel as the obejct ploughed through the trees towards them” (ibid p. 40) and at 3.05am after strobe lights were seen [hypnosis, mind control?] they saw “at ten degrees horizon directly north…two strange objects.  Half moon-shaped, dancing about with colored lights on them…[which] turned into full circles” (ibid p. 43).  Jenny Randles explores the case fully in Sky Crash and From Out of the Blue.    See also airman Larry Warren and Peter Robbin's book Left at East Gate (1997) they note that the base had nuclear warheads in bunkers and that the UFO shot laser like light beams into these bunkers.


Robertson Panel – “After the wave of sightings around washington DC in 1952, the National Security Council ordered the Central Intelligence Agency to determine if the existence of UFOs created a danger to national security. One CIA memorandum, written August 1, stated that “so long as a series of reports remains ‘unexplainable’ (interplanetary aspects and alien origin not being thoroughly excluded from consideration) caution requires that intelligence continue coverage of the subject…[but don’t tell the press that the CIA is interested]…the CIA appointed a team of five eminent scientists to study the UFO problem: Dr H P Robertson, from the Office of the Secretary of Defense; Dr Luis Alvarez, a physicist who fifteen years later would receive the Nobel Prize for physics; Dr Samuel Goudsmit, an associate of Einstein from the Brookhaven National Laboratories; Dr Thornton Page, deputy director of the Johns Hopkins Operations Research Office; and Dr Lloyd Berkner, also of Brookhaven [and member of MJ-12] .  Dr Allen Hynek, the Ohio State astronomer and special consultant to Blue Book, attended selected meetings as an associate member, but was not asked to sign the final report.  The group, known as the Robertson Panel, secretly convened on January 14, 1953.  The first morning they watched two color films, one taken at Tremonton, Utah, the other at Great Falls, Montana.  The films represented what Air Force Blue Book personnel considered the best evidence of extraterrestrial visitation.  The Navy Photograph Interpretation Laboratory had analyzed the Tremonton film for a thousand hours and concluded that the twelve objects flying in loose formation could not be birds, balloons, aircraft, or reflections; and whatever they were, they were “self-luminous.”  But despite the Navy’s findings, the panel assumed that the cinematographer, a naval commander, was probably mistaken in his estimate of how far away the objects were, that they probably were considerably closer, and that therefore the formation of flying objects was probably nothing more than sea gulls or some other kind of bird “reflecting the strong desert sunlight but being just too far and too luminous to see their shape.”  Similarly, they dismissed the two objects in the Great Falls film as probably jet airplanes that had been seen in the area a short while before, though the man who took the footage testified he knew the difference between jets and the two objects he filmed.  After reviewing only six cases in detail, and fifteen cases generally, the panel concluded that nothing they had seen or heard offered scientific data of any value.  The reports, while great in number, were poor in quality, and any attempt to “solve” them would be a tremendous waste of resources…After a total review of approximately twelve hours, the panel concluded:… “no residuum of cases…which are attributable to foreign artifacts capable of hostile acts”.” (Kinder (1987) p. 146-147)  They decided that reports of UFOs may open the country to psychological warfare by enemies of the state and cause panic amongst the populace [seems to me that might be what they were after anyway, or if they were after that, that is what they would do].  Preventing the voters from questioning their powerlessness and repressed position through “the cultivation of a morbid national psychology in which skillful hostile propaganda could induce hysterical behaviour and harmful distrust of duly constituted authority.” (Robertson Panel quoted in Kinder (1987) p. 148)  I wonder how many people have been institutionalized for mental health problems after no one believed them about their ufo experiences, how many people have lost their families through it, and how many their jobs?


Rockefeller Panel – Sturrock Report, a reversal of the Condon Report.  This panel was chaired by Peter Sturrock, Professor of Applied Physics.  In 1992 he received the Space Sciences Award from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (40,000 members) for “major contribution to the fields of geophysics, solar physics and astrophysics, leadership in the space science community, and dedication” (Birnes (2004) p. 299).  This panel of independent scientists was sponsored by the Society for Scientific Exploration  on June 29th 1998.  They concluded “no convincing evidence pointing to the involvement of extraterrestrial intelligence…nevertheless…valuable to carefully evaluate UFO reports… [as] there is the possibility that scientists will learn something new” [!] (Birnes (2004) p. 300 - + a list of panel members).


Roswell – There were sightings leading up to this in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  In the U.S sightings were made in Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Pueblo Colorado, Nevada, Montgomery Alabama, Grand Canyon, Pacific Northwest, Maine, Portland, Seattle, Denver.  The 509th Bomb Squad in Roswell Army Air Force Base, was however the only location in the world where nuclear weapons were authorized to fly, “the only military group in the world with atomic capability.” (Dolan (2002) p. 21) The Trinity Site where the first Atomic Bomb was dropped for testing in 1945 is nearby at White Sands Missile Test Range (Proving Ground) between Socorro and Alamogordo. Considering the history of the ufonauts warnings about nuclear disasters, it is understandable that they would want to cause an incident here, and in the middle of a bad storm, that is what happened, but the other thought to consider is that (as with the Tunguska event) atomic explosions affect the gravitational field of the Earth in the geological location of the detonation, so it is possible that the UFO was travelling a well worn path and encountered difficulties due to a change in the gravitational levels.  There may have been more than one crash, and the dates and locations are unclear. To the left of Trinity is a crash site on the Plains of San Agustin, to the right, between Corona and Roswell is the Foster Ranch, or what Stanton T Friedman and Don Berliner wrote up as Crash at Corona (1992). “Tuesday, July 1, 1947 While watching radar screens at Roswell Army Air Base, White Sands, and Alamogordo, New Mexico, military personnel observe a “strange object” whose speed and flight maneuvers indicate that it cannot be from this planet.  Subsequent checks of the radar tracking equipment reveal “no malfunction that would account for the [unusual] display”. Wednesday, July 2, 1947…9.50pm Mr and Mrs Dan Wilmot of Roswell, new Mexico, observe from their front yard an oval-shaped object…self-luminous, the craft flies…toward Corona…Thursday, July 3, 1947…Frank Kaufman, a military radar expert [at White Sands] watches the tracking screens for nearly twenty-four hours [he observes that “the blips were just dancing”, ie not operating on a linear flightpath] Friday, July 4, 1947 …two Catholic nuns [at 11-11:30 pm] Mother Superior Mary Bernadette and Sister Capistrano, at St Mary’s Hospital…[saw] “a brilliant light plunge to Earth”…During the “worst lightning storm he had ever seen” William W. ‘Mac’ Brazel, who operates the J. B. Foster ranch, hears an “odd sort of explosion, not like ordinary thunder, but different”.  At 11.27pm, the radar sites operated by military personnel continue to track the UFO that has befuddled them for three days now.  The object seems to “pulsate” repeatedly, then explodes in a “starburst”.” (Korff (2000) p. 3-5,  Brazel found debris in his field on Saturday 5th 1947, it was scattered over a wide area and consisted of foil that wouldn’t stay crumpled - “you could wrinkle it and lay it back down and it immediately resumed its original shape. It was quite pliable, yet you couldn’t crease or bend it [and] thread-like material…but it wouldn’t snap at all” (ibid p. 5 - 6) - probably today we would call it plastic foil laminate and nylon threads or plexiglass fibre optics.  Brazel took the debris to his neighbours the Proctors, but they didn’t want to see for themselves and suggested a trip to Chaves County Sheriff George A. Wilcox in Roswell (75 miles away).  So Brazel drove down there on Sunday July 6th and telephoned the weather bureau (Korff (2000) p. 10), who denied all knowledge and again referred him to the Sheriff as the Proctors had done. Wilcox  notified the Army. Brazel probably wouldn’t have bothered but he had been told there would be a reward for evidence of a flying saucer, allegedly. Colonel William Blanchard, commanding officer of the 509th, ordered air intelligence officer Captain Jesse Marcel to investigate.  The area was cordoned off, the material was recovered and secured, officially secrecy was invoked, Brazel was imprisoned and threatened and then bribed [with a new truck] to keep quiet.  It seems that there was a craft which had crashed at a location forty miles away from Roswell in addition to the debris field wreckage site. “Monday July 7, 1947…At 4pm Lydia Sleppy, a teletype operator for radio sation KOAT in Albuquerque” (ibid p. 13) gets a call from Johnny McBoyle a reporter at an affiliated station, KSWS, in Roswell, who tells her of the crash and rumours of “little men being on board” (ibid) intending to put it on the ABC newswire, Sleppy types it in only to find that within a few lines, the “Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) office in Dallas has intercepted her transmission” and sends her a message “ATTENTION ALBUQUERQUE: DO NOT TRANSMIT. REPEAT DO NOT TRANSMIT THIS MESSAGE. STOP COMMUNICATION IMMEDIATELY.”.  McBoyle is meanwhile arguing with someone over the phone, and tells Sleppy “Forget about it.  You never heard it.  Look, you’re not supposed to know.  Don’t talk about it to anyone.” (ibid).  Of course that may be because it wasn't true, or it was a disinformation campaign.  July 8th, Walt Whitmore the owner of KGFL radio in Roswell, interviews Brazel, but is told by the secretary of the Federal Communications Commission in Washington, D.C. Slowie, that it is a matter of national security and that if he attempts to broadcast news of the flying saucer his station will lose it’s licence on the same day.  Meanwhile, Colonel Blanchard of Roswell Army Air Base, instructs Lt. Walter Haut to write a press release and distribute it.  It reads: “…The many rumours regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence office of the 509th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc…The flying object landed on a ranch near Roswell sometime last week…the disc was picked up at the rancher’s home…” (Korff (2000) p 15-16) A front-page banner headline appears announcing “RAAF Captures Flying Saucer…” in the Roswell Daily Record the same day (July 8th) but by July 9th this has become “Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer…Harassed Rancher who located “Saucer” sorry he told about it.” (ibid p. 19).  The flying saucer was quickly replaced with the ‘revelation’ that it was only a misidentified weather balloon.  Due to the importance of patriotic security awareness and obedience in the post WWII era, the citizens of Roswell quickly forgot and the Army and Air Force members were compelled to do as they were told by their superiors, with warnings of harsh consequences if they didn’t. Captain Jesse Marcel, with Army CIC Captain Sheridan Cavitt and Master Sergeant Lewis S. Rickett and Mac Brazel went out to what has become known as the debris field on the Foster Ranch, 75 miles from Roswell on the 6th July, but they arrived too late to do anything and spent the night in the barn.  On Monday morning 7th July 1947 they saw that “the field was three quarters of a mile long, and two to three hundred feet wide.  A gouge in the field extended for four to five hundred feet, “as if something had touched down and skipped along.” The debris was as thin as the foil in a cigarette packet, but incredibly strong.  Marcel said that one soldier later told him that the metal was unbendable and could not be dented, even with a sledgehammer.  Marcel also found foil that, when crumpled, would unfold itself without any sign of a wrinkle, and I-beams with odd symbols on them and pink/lavender [purple, irridescent? Hieroglyphic or Sanskrit style writing]…Marcel concluded that the debris was “definitely not a weather or tracking device, nor was it any sort of plane or missile…It was something I had never seen before…it certainly wasn’t built by us.” (Dolan (2002) p. 22)

“Marcel and Cavitt returned to Roswell Army Air Field early on the morning of July 8, they bought with them two carloads of debris.  It was this, or at least most of it, that Marcel accompanied on a flight to Fort Worth AAF; he described it as “half a B-29 full”.” (Friedman & Berliner (1992) p. 111). Roswell is a significant event because it happened before the contactee experiences of the ‘50’s, because it involved recovery of technologically unknown devices and debris, and because it features reports of bodies found amongst the wreckage, some of which were still alive, and which were significantly different to Earth humans.  In the Santilli Autopsy Footage, the unamed cameraman calls these, in the terminology of the day “Circus Freaks, Creatures with no business here” as read by Brian Blessed.  He says the “Freaks were still crying, holding their boxes” and then, when the military tried to remove the boxes which the aliens were so protective of, the “Freaks…screamed even louder” (Howe (1998) p. 50).  It does seem a bit traumatic doesn’t it, to crash, be in shock, and then have nasty violent soldiers try to remove your biocompatable computer by hitting you in the head with the butt of a rifle!  There were civilians on site but they were quickly removed from the scene, threatened and escorted away, and then it was just the unknowns (female, bald, short, damaged by the crash) and the nasty, tall, frightening soldiers, all looking the same in their uniforms, testosterone fuelled agression and fear of Soviets causing them to be extremely intimidating at the supposed threat to their nuclear missiles. Santilli said to me “All the Creatures were female” and I believe him, why else would so much emphasis be put in subsequent events on the fact that there aren’t any “Little Green Men”, and why would that phrase be so significant in the cover-up procedure and ridicule subsequently experienced by believers?  When we consider this case what stands out is the threat made to Frankie Rowe when she was a child; “You know it’s a big desert out here…and they will never find your body”, and the Staff Nurse Naomi Maria Selff (friend of Glenn Dennis) who assisted in an alien autopsy. Dennis himself was threatened with the possibility of people “picking your bones out of the sand…you’ll make good dog food” (Korff (2000) p. 9).  Naomi Maria Selff was terrified and then disappeared, untraceably, apparently she was sent to London, England and died in a plane crash, but she may well have died on the Base. A lot of the soldiers and commanders making threats obviously would have got satisfaction from seeing those threats carried out, and the amount of secrecy involved would have given them licence to destroy any paperwork and cover their tracks in any way necessary. According to Dennis, the Nurse told him this: “ “Let me show you the difference between our anatomy and theirs.  Really, what they looked like was ancient Chinese: small, fragile, no hair.” [Tibetans? Shambhala?] She said their noses didn’t protrude, the eyes were set pretty deep and the ears were just little indentations.  She said the anatomy of the arms was different (the upper arm was longer than the lower).  They didn’t have thumbs, they had four different…she called them ‘tentacles’, I think.  Didn’t have any fingernails. She then described how they had little things like suction cups on their fingertips.  I asked her were these men or women? [Were their] sex organs the same as ours?  She said, “No, some were missing.” [Dennis interjected] “The first thing that decomposes on a body would be the brain, next the sex organs, especially in women.  But she thought there had probably been something…some animals. [predation]  Some of these bodies were  badly mutilated.  She said they got the bodies out of those containers [the ones he had seen in the backs of the ambulances, on the way into the hospital that looked like canoes].  See, they weren’t at the crash site.  She said they looked like they had their own little cabins.  She said the lower portion – the abdomen and legs – was crushed, but the upper portion wasn’t that bad.  She told me the head…was larger and it was kind of…like….the eyes were different. [and she drew Glenn Dennis a picture].”  (Friedman & Berliner (1992) p. 118)  That was the last Dennis saw of her, after he drove her back to her barracks.  She had also told him that the bodies smelt really badly, but did not describe the smell, which would suggest it was unfamiliar.  Colonel Richard Tungate says he was “part of a US Special Forces unit known as Delta Force…“In 1952 I was sent here [Roswell] to reorganize, eliminate and reprocess the paperwork…At that time I was First Lieutenant but was given the temporary rank of Captain [due to photographic memory ability] and during this process I had to go over the entire contents of the documents…destroy what needed to be destroyed and send the other documents to different areas…Maryland…Texas… Washington…there had been many duplications made of each copy and copies that were duplicated that had a certain person’s name on it.  I had to eliminate all of those documents regardless of what information was on it: if her name was involved those documents had to be destroyed”.” (Shawcross (1997) p. 48)  Tungate says that through this duty he was able to discover that an Extra Biological Entity had survived, he claims: “I saw the being that was still alive.  I went to Los Alamos” (ibid p. 48).  Tungate also testifies “that not only were threats made, some of them were actually carried out.  “I’m certain they were. [he says] There were two gentlemen officers that met with fateful events and there was a nurse that disappeared…[just as if] she never existed.  All of her military documents were destroyed, all of her school records were destroyed; her birth certificate was destroyed…[as if] this person was never born.”…Tungate confirmed that this is the same nurse as reported by Glenn Dennis…Tungate is convinced that she was executed.” (ibid p. 51).  

Frankie Rowe was twelve when the crash occurred in 1947.  Her father was in the Roswell Fire Department, one of the first official units to reach the scene.  This is her testimony:  “I don’t think anybody will ever really understand how completely terrified you can be of an event.  We were not afraid of the spaceship that crashed; we were afraid of our own government.  Some people today find that hard to believe, but it really happened. I was twelve years old.  My father had just returned home from his shift at the Roswell Fire Department.  He was normally very calm and laid back, but this time he was real excited.... “I’ve got something really important I want to tell everybody.” He was so excited he would stand on one foot, then on the other one, hopping back and forth…“We got a fire call this morning,” Dad said [when they were seated at dinner]. “Something about a crash about thirty miles north, close to Black Water Draw.  I thought it was going to be a range fire caused by a crashed plane.  When we got there, were we ever surprised.  We all got off the truck and just stood there, not believing what we were seeing.  It was a flying saucer.  Two of the crew were dead, but one was still alive…They’re little people.  Little people in these things.  The two that were dead had been placed in body bags.  The one still alive was walking around.  It talked to us in our heads without saying anything, but we all heard the same thing.  It said it was sad over the loss of it’s comrades, and that no one could help.  It told us they were not here to hurt us.”  Father went on [explaining to his family over the dinner table]. “About this time the military arrived.  They sure were angry we were there; chased us out real quick.  We weren’t even allowed to fix the fences we had cut to get there…They’re only as big as a small ten-year old child” [under four foot]…They look exactly like the Child of the Earth.” This was the only reference he ever used as to what they looked like. The ‘Child of the Earth’ is an insect that looks like a baby [The Jerusalem Cricket].  He never said anything about the color except that it was the same as the Child of the Earth, so we assumed it was pale pinkish gray…[Mr Rowe concluded the description] “The body is like a little person’s.  They wear clothes just like we do.” (Birnes (2004) p. 86-87)  On being teased by his wife on the matter, Mr Rowe snapped back “What makes you so smug [as] to think that a God that can create this earth couldn’t create whoever he wanted to?” (ibid p. 88)  A good answer!  A few days later at the Fire Station a State Policeman walked in with a metal foil sample from the crash, Frankie was lucky enough to be visiting at the time and had a chance to confirm the anomalous behaviour of the metal.  Because of this she got a visit at home and while Donny, Pat and Suzie, her siblings were in the backyard, Frankie was verbally threatened by the Military Police.  He was in a long olive coloured dress coat, with “a belt that went around the waist and up over the shoulder” (ibid p. 88).  He had sunglasses on and a truncheon or night stick. Frankie gives her testimony as to the threats made to silence her; “ “What did you see at the Fire Station?” He demanded. “I saw a piece of material that came from the flying saucer that crashed,” I replied. “No, you didn’t.  You didn’t see anything.”…He had a voice that just boomed; it was very cutting and sharp.  His accent was back East, New York or New Jersey.  He kept saying, “You don’t understand what you have seen.  You don’t know what it was.  You didn’t really see anything.” He took a stick-thing from his belt, and started beating his hand to emphasize the point…standing over me he was huge. “If you ever talk about this the rest of your life…” he paused for several seconds, then started again. “You know, there’s more than one thing we can do to shut you up.  First of all we can kill you and every single member of your family.  We’ll take you out in the middle of this big desert here and we’ll bury your bodies.  No one will ever find them.  Or we could take you to a prisoner-of-war camp; you children in one prison and your parents in another.”…I kept the promise until they started doing all the research in Roswell in the early 1990s.  Kevin Randle called several times…I got hysterical and cried…that guy beating his hand with that baton…I’ll be influenced by that inquisition for some time to come.” (Birnes (2004) p. 90). See also Hangar 18 and Santilli.

For a closer look into the details of Roswell, see the book Beyond Roswell (1997) by Michael Hesemann and Philip Mantle.

bottom of page